Sunday, November 27, 2011

TOS Review: The Reading Game

 

 

image

 

 

 

 

Our recent review is on “The Reading Game” by the author of Wordly Wise Kenneth Hodkinson.  My youngest is reading but struggles on a few smaller words… so I thought this might be good for her. She and middle monkey played this game a couple times a week over the last few weeks.


Overview of the game:

It is very similar to a Memory game.  It comes with 6 stories, that have 30 new words for them to learn in it. Your child reads a story, and then plays the game with the cards that go along. They have a set of 5 words in one deck of cards, that they play a memory game with. Then once you go over those words and feel they have learned them, you move on to the next level.

 

Game Contents:

  • 6 Illustrated Story Books
  • 6 Decks of matching cards (30 cards in each deck)
  • Teacher & Parent Guides

 

image

 

My thoughts:

I thought that it was a cute game concept. However, I’m not sure if memorizing them are the best way to learn. I’m still a bit skeptical that this sticks with them? However, I understand there are some words that just don’t sound out right.

Little Monkey and Middle Monkey, thought this game was fun. As they are a big fan of memory games as well. They had fun seeing which ones they could read the fastest, as they got a match.

I think this will be something we will use as a supplement to our reading program right now. I think this will bring in the fun, and break up the frustration right now.

 

If you are curious about how well they are doing, you can give your child a pre assessment and then again after they have been playing with it for awhile. You can get that here.

I think this game would be a good addition to any reading curriculum.

 

image

 

You can purchase “The Reading Game” for $24.95 here. You can get a 15% discount off 8 or more.

 

Check out what the other TOS Crew Members have to say about this game.

 

*We were given this game in exchange for our honest opinion, as part of the TOS Crew. All opinions are 100% mine or my monkeys.

 

No comments: