Monday, November 21, 2011

Gratitude Post

 

 

 

 

Photobucket

 

 

 

Day 21:

Today I am thankful for… Homeschooling. Yup, it wasn’t an easy decision, and it went against a lot of what my family thought. Ruffled a few feathers, and caused a few issues here and there. However, in the end, I knew that this was the right decision for my kids.

Why did we start homeschooling? Well, I was tried of getting phone calls from the principle everyday telling me to come get my son. (Before you jump to the wrong conclusion let me finish) He was acting out terribly in class, cause he was BORED. He has always been a bright child. He loves to learn, and had attended Pre-k for 3 yrs. Naturally he was ahead of all the other kids. He was reading at a 6 grade level, and was doing science and math ahead of most kids in his class. But the schools were not willing to do anything about it.

Then my middle child, started having issues and begging me not to go to school in the morning. Begging me?? I mean I don’t remember every hating school that bad at the age of 6. I was heartbroken for her. She to was getting bored at school.

Then my littlest she was just starting school and I felt bad. She had wanted to go to school so bad. How could I take that opportunity away from here? So we sent her to Kindergarten. After 2 weeks of being there she came home and told me she didn’t really want to go back. She didn’t fight me, but was not excited at all about going. Sad smile 

I decided at that point, they were not going back. I wasn’t going to make them dread and hate 6 hrs a day for 5 days a week, so they could come home and take it out on me, and make home life unbearable. We took the opportunity to just make the switch when we embarked on our moving trip a month into school. Once they left FL, they did not go back to a public school. 

It has been a year now, and we love it. We love the flexibility, the ability for them to spend more time with their dad. Where if they were in public school they would never see him. Most of all we love the things we have been able to learn, and study longer cause we love it. Or the times we took a bit longer cause we had a hard time learning it. We love that we can learn Latin, Spanish, or electrical connections in elementary school. We are very happy with our decision, and we are blessed to be able to do it.

That is what I am thankful for today… What about you??

No comments: