Wednesday, December 14, 2011

TOS Review: I See Cards- Fractazmic

 

 

image

 

 

I’m going to let you in on a little secret… I’m horrible with fractions. Like I can tell you how to make a hole number with like 1/2 + 1/2, or 3/4 + 1/4.. but beyond that.. FORGET IT!

Guess that is why I’m really not the math teacher in our house right?? However, I do go over math with my oldest, and work on concepts with him, and anything to difficult has to wait for daddy to get home.

Since Monkey Man has finished lower six grade math already… (Sigh) doesn’t get his math since from this mama! Back on subject.. We decided to focus on everyday things, and to strengthen his skills.

When asked to review the Fractazmic game, I was excited… Thinking this would be a fun spin to learning fractions. 

The only problem was, I didn’t realize I would have to learn along with him. Not sure what I was thinking there… but its ok we had fun with it.

image

The deck includes:

  • 60 Math Learning Cards

Object of the game:

The game is meant for 2-4 players. You need to make as many hands adding up to “1” as you can.  Players can either pick up from the pile, or from the discard pile. But if not careful you can end up with a lot of cards.  When making a hand, you have to use the same color cards.

The three colors include. The Blue which is twelfths. The Green cards which are tenths. Then the Red cards which are the sixteenths.

You can also play Rummy and Trap with these cards. We haven’t had a chance to try those two games yet.

This game is recommended for ages 7 and up…

You can download a 30 pg pdf file to show you how to play other I See Cards.

Our opinion:

After a few rounds of this.. Needing my husband, and mom to help us out, so each child had an adult to help them. We got the simpler ones, but the hard combinations we are still working on.

Monkey man got a bit frustrated with this game at first, but enjoyed that he could play a game to learn them. I would say that 7 is the youngest I would try teaches this too, and even that might be pushing it. My 8 yr old, hasn’t gotten to complex fractions yet, so she was not so happy with this game. She could do the easier combinations though.

All and all, I think it is a fabulous way to teach fractions. Even if you don’t always use it as the game, you can use the cards as a visual. I think they will come in super handy in the future.

To Buy:

Fractazmic sells for $6.95 plus shipping online.

Go check out what the other TOS Crew members are saying about Fractazmic!!

 

 

image

 

 

* We were given this product in exchange for our opinion as part of the TOS Crew. All opinions are 100% mine or my monkeys.

No comments: