Monday, October 8, 2012

Listerine Smart Rinse Oral Care Challenge #SweetSmart

 

 

We all know that brushing is important.. However, I recently discovered a lot of things that I did not know about brushing! More to come on that in a bit.

 

Upon joining this challenge I had the chance to join in on a webinar about children’s dental care. Fern Igner, the Founding President and CEO of America’s ToothFairy shared information on how to sign up your child for the ToothFairy Club. After registering your child they will get a personalized letter from the Tooth Fairy. As well as information on taking good care of their teeth and gums.

 

DSC_0017

 

 

Then Dr. Kanetta Lott, a pediatric dentist answered our questions. I must say their were some really good questions being asked too! The group also was putting out some really great tips that work well for their families as well. Including some ways to get our kids excited about oral care, and keeping them excited. (I think we may all struggle with that) Some of the suggestions that were put out there was a reward chart, and play a song that lasts 3 minutes. Dr. Lott also shared that brushing and flossing is not enough. They need to use a rinse like “Listerine Smart Rinse”. This rinse provides a 12 hour cavity protection and strengthens teeth 99% more than brushing alone! Parents should brush their children’s teeth until the age of 8 to demonstrate good brushing behavior.

 

Kids should brush their teeth for 2 minutes, and rinse for 1 minute. Which is usually the length of a song. As stated above, some parents found it helpful to play a song, so they know how long to brush. For all purchases of Listerine Smart Rinse at Walmart, you can download a song for your kids to brush their teeth too. You can get songs from Phineas and Ferb here, or a Barbie song here. My kids love Phineas and Ferb, so I really think we are going to try this! Plus my girls love Barbie, so maybe we can switch it up a bit.

 

DSC_0018

 

If your child has or gets braces, they should be rinsing with Listerine Smart Rinse a couple times a day. Braces have a tendency to trap food around braces, adhere to teeth, and cause more cavities.

 

DSC_0014

 

DSC_0013

 

 

 

 

Our Dental Habits:

I’m sure we all try to give our kids great dental habits, however that may not always stick. Since my kids were infants we used a washcloth, or the little finger brush you can buy to brush their gums. Then as they got older I would help them brush, and let them try on their own. Morning and night we had nice sparkly teeth. By the age of 2 I had them seeing a dentist. My oldest always did great with this. My two girls on the other hand were more timid, so we just kept trying. Eventually, they didn’t shy away as quick, and did very well at the dentist. I have always been very faithful about bring them to the dentist every 6 months, and getting their teeth cleaned. When they were old enough they all had sealants put on their teeth. As they got older however, they stopped being as active about brushing their teeth. I had to remind them frequently and they still would fight me on it. This is still a work in progress!

 

My kids are now 10, 9, and 7. The two oldest have not had any cavities. Up until last month, my youngest didn’t either. She recently had 2 cavities, and we had to get fillings. That was such a production. I partially blame myself for her cavities though, since she has always struggled with brushing her teeth well. I have helped her up until the last few months. Since this recent development, I have decided to go back and help her brush them.

 

 

The Facts:

  • Oral Disease has become the #1 Chronic Childhood Disease
  • 44% of American kids will suffer from the pediatric dental disease before they reach kindergarten.
  • Of the 4 million kids born each year, more than half will have cavities before they reach 2nd grade.
  • 43% of Americans lack dental insurance
  • All in All, 16 million kids suffer from untreated dental disease
  • Children should have a “dental home” no later than 12 months of age. Some dentist won’t start seeing them until they are 3 or 4 unless they are a pediatric dentist.
  • Even brushing with water is better than not brushing at all.
  • Brushing alone missing 75% of your mouth! (did you know that?)
  • Smart Rinse is alcohol free, and gluten free.
  • Clean teeth do not bleed, if your gums are bleeding then you need to brush more.
  • Foods to cause teeth decay is Gummy bears, raisins, and gooey candy.

 

 

Thanks to Johnson & Johnson’s contributions to America’s ToothFairy. In 2011 alone, over 50,000 kids have received critical oral health services (screenings, fluoride treatments, cleanings, sealants, and restorative services). That to me is amazing!

 

DSC_0016

 

 

The Challenge:

 

For the 3 week Listerine Challenge, we are going to be using the reward chart to keep them accountable for when they are brushing their teeth. We are also going to be using the music to help them brush long enough. My kids are anxiously awaiting to try the new products. My Son, and youngest daughter have claimed the Phineas & Ferb toothbrush, and rinse. While my middle monkey decided to go with the Barbie toothbrush and rinse. I’m even excited to try out my new toothbrush, rinse, and floss.

I will be sure to be keeping a better eye on their brushing habits, and helping them to keep up with the proper time. Since we homeschool, I think we are even going to try to fit in brushing after lunch when we can.

 

DSC_0015

 

Since we have Halloween coming up, I’m trying to come up with an alternative to the candy. We don’t usually go trick or treating to much… so I’m thinking maybe giving them a dollar per pound, or trading it in for a movie or something. Still working on that part.

 

 

*Disclosure: I received products from Johnson & Johnson Healthcare Products Divison of McNeil-PPC,INC. and The Motherhood as part of my participation in the Listerine Smart Rinse Sweet Smart Challenge. All thoughts and opinions are my or my monkeys.

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

WilliamJ999 said...

Great information useful for kids the tips are really helpful I never used rinser but now definitely I will use that to keep healthy Oral care.